Academic-Eligibility Requirements for Division II
Students Enrolling at Division II Colleges
- Division II currently requires 16 core courses.
- 3 years of English
- 2 years of math (Algebra 1 or higher)
- 2 years of natural or physical science (including one year of lab science if offered by your high school)
- 3 additional years of English, math, or natural or physical science
- 2 years of social science
- 4 years of additional core courses (from any category above, or foreign language, comparative religion or philosophy);
- Beginning August 1, 2018, to become a full or partial qualifier for Division II, all college-bound student-athletes must complete the entire 16 core-course requirement.
- Division II currently requires a minimum SAT score of 820 or an ACT sum score of 68.
- Beginning August 1, 2018, Division II will use a sliding scale to match test scores and core-course grade-point averages (GPA). The sliding scale for those requirements is shown below.
- The SAT score used for NCAA purposes includes only the critical reading and math sections. The writing section of the SAT is not used.
- The ACT score used for NCAA purposes is a sum of the following four sections: English, mathematics, reading and science.
- When you register for the SAT or ACT, use the NCAA Eligibility Center code of 9999 to ensure all SAT and ACT scores are reported directly to the NCAA Eligibility Center from the testing agency. Test scores that appear on transcripts will not be used.
- Be sure to look at your high school’s List of NCAA Courses on the NCAA Eligibility Center's website (www.eligibilitycenter.org). Only courses that appear on your school's approved List of NCAA Courses will be used in the calculation of the core GPA. Use the list as a guide.
- The current Division II core GPA requirement is a minimum of 2.000. Division II core GPA required to be eligible for competition on or after August 1, 2018, is 2.200 (corresponding test score requirements are listed on the Sliding Scale below).
- The minimum Division II core GPA required to receive athletics aid and practice as a partial qualifier on or after August 1, 2018, is 2.000 (corresponding test-score requirements are listed below).
- Remember, the NCAA core GPA is calculated using NCAA core courses only.