Job/Internship/Job Shadowing Help
Job shadowing is a great way to better understand whether or not a career field may be right for you. As part of a student's Ranger Connect credit, juniors will be required to complete a job shadowing experience. Follow these steps to ensure a successful experience:
- Consider who you know. Brainstorm a list of family members and/or friends' parents who you may want to shadow.
- Make a polite professional request via email or phone call. When requesting an opportunity to job shadow, be flexible with your dates and times. Shadowing can be anything from 1 hour to a full day.
- Prepare a list of questions.
- Dress appropriately. It's always better to dress up too much than to be too casual.
- Double check your directions and how to enter the building.
- Be on time, which means arrive 10 minutes early.
- Be polite, professional, inquisitive, and grateful. Even if you realize their work doesn't interest you, be engaged. They have taken the time to share their knowledge with you.
- Follow up with a thank you note via email or mail.
If you need help with a placement, you can contact area Chamber of Commerces for leads.
MetroNorth Chamber of Commerce: 763-783-3553
White Bear Area Chamber of Commerce: 651-429-8593
Forest Lake Area Chamber of Commerce: 651-464-3200