Welcome to Forest Lake Area Schools
A message from Superintendent Steve Massey, Ed.D
Welcome to Forest Lake Area Schools where we are driven to provide excellence for every student every day!
As we navigate this school year in the midst of the pandemic, our highest priority is to deliver exceptional learning that also adheres to health and safety guidelines for our students and staff. Our school plans adhere to the Minnesota’s Safe Learning Plan and other health and safety guidelines from the state. Governor Walz has some of the best experts on his team, and his plan is based on a localized analysis of risk including the level of confirmed cases by county. Our school plans are based on the state’s metric for COVID-19 cases in the three counties we serve, including Anoka, Chisago, and Washington.
As the year progresses, we will continue to make decisions based on the following values:
- We believe that most students learn best in person at school, where they can connect academically and emotionally with their teachers and peers, and where they have equitable access to learning tools.
- The choice to decrease students’ access to in-person learning (via a hybrid or distance learning model) has real and significant impacts for students and families, and so it must be weighed against local risk factors and state guidance regarding the rate of COVID-19 spread in our community.
- The health of our staff and students is very important and we will take all reasonable precautions to mitigate the risk of illness exposure among our staff and students.
- Students and families who have a higher risk from exposure to illness, or who prefer a school option that carries no risk of exposure, have the option of distance learning available to them (Ranger Academy).
- Regardless of the learning model at any given time, families and students can expect to learn from the same exceptional educators you have come to know and trust. We remain steadfast in our mission to prepare and empower every student to thrive in and contribute to an ever-changing world.
To stay connected, you can also follow me on twitter @ForestLakeSupt and the District on Facebook and Instagram.
Steve Massey, Superintendent