Our Testing Program
Testing is an important way for us to measure how our students are learning and growing, and to ensure our schools are providing students with what they need to be successful.
Our schools use a variety of tests. The two most common tests - which are taken by the majority of our students - are the Minnesota Comprehensive Assessments (MCA) and FastBridge computer adaptive assessments.
What’s the difference between the MCA-III and the FastBridge tests?
MCA-III FastBridge CAT How often is it given? Once per year - in the spring Up to 4 times per year - in the fall, winter, spring, and summer When are results available? Over the summer/fall Within 72 hours Who takes it? Grades 3-8, 10 & 11 Grades K-8 (selected 9-12) How is it administered? Standard paper and pencil test Computerized What's it measure? Student, school and district performance on academic standards Individual student growth and academic performance How is it used? System accountability: Measures how students are meeting the Minnesota Academic Standards and determines if individual schools and the entire district is making adequate yearly progress (AYP) as defined by the No Child Left Behind Act. Placement in district programs; Measuring individual student growth; Uncovering individual student's academic strengths and weaknesses; Assists teachers in modifying instruction to meet the needs of students.Testing Opt-Out Information:You may elect to not have your child(ren) participate in the state-required standardized assessments, but you must complete the Minnesota Department of Education's Parent/Guardian Refusal for Student Participation in Statewide Assessments form.
- Dr. Lloyd Komatsu, Assessment & Evaluation Coordinator
- State Assessments and Testing (This link takes you to the Minnesota Department of Education website)
- Testing Results (This link takes you to the Minnesota Department of Education Minnesota Report Card website)
Tests administered in Forest Lake Area Schools
In Forest Lake Area Schools, we assess our students with a variety of different tests, including:
- MCA-III (Minnesota Comprehensive Assessments)
- Minnesota Writes!
- MN-SOLOM (Minnesota Student Oral Language Observation Matrix)
- TEAE (Test of Emergency Academic English)
- GRAD (Graduation-Required Assessments for Diploma)