About Our School
Forest Lake Area Community School is located in the heart of Forest Lake, Minnesota. We currently serve students from Forest Lake and other local communities, including: East Bethel, May Township, Ham Lake, Hugo, Columbus, Lino Lakes, Linwood, Scandia, Marine, Stacy and Wyoming.
Our school is alternative option that is offered to students in grades 9-12. Our mission is to prepare and empower every student to contribute to and thrive, in an ever changing world.
We as a community will create relationships with our students; supporting them academically, socially, and emotionally in order to celebrate their graduation from high school. All students will be prepared for future academic and career success.
We as a community will create and maintain a positive, inclusive learning environment which fosters the skills to succeed through social, emotional development and college and career readiness.
We believe in equity.
We believe that all students can and will be successful.
- Creating a welcoming environment for all
- Awareness of student needs- emotional/physical/cultural
- Building cultural competence in the classroom
We believe in building positive relationships with our students.
- Using positive affirmations
- Focusing on student strengths
- Unique classroom environment
- Judgement-free environment
- Using student interests to motivate learning
- Being fully present with students
- Modeling positive relationships
We believe in student growth.
We believe in high expectations for our students.
- Functionally preparing for the future through daily advisory
- Increase in self-confidence
- Academic and social-emotional growth
We believe in educating and supporting the whole child.
- Daily Advisory/Ranger Time with our students
- Assisting students with their individualized learning plans
We believe in providing resources and accomodations to meet student needs.
- Accepting students from where they are
- Teaching and promoting empathy
- Providing proactive social/emotional support
We believe in teaching a growth mindset to our students
- Centering instruction on research and evidence-based practices
- Providing resources both in and outside of school
- Consistently following 504 and IEP accomodations and understanding the process