Distance Learning Option
Full distance learning is an option for families who have assessed their household risk and determined that they do not feel safe sending their student to school in-person.
Elementary - Ranger Academy
Students in Kindergarten through grade 6 who choose distance learning will be enrolled in our new Ranger Academy and will be assigned to a teacher and learning cohort based on grade level or grade band. Teachers will use Forest Lake Area Schools curriculum and teaching practices aligned with Minnesota State Standards. Teachers will monitor progress, assess student learning, and provide support for their students.
Student learning will take place through a combination of pre-recorded and/or live lessons in all subject areas, including social emotional learning. Students will participate in individual and/or small group scheduled check-ins with their teacher and may also have the opportunity for virtual peer to peer learning.
Ranger Academy will use our district's technology resources but will also provide paper copies of materials when needed.
- SeeSaw (grades K-2)
- Google Classroom (grades 3-6)
- Google Meet (for virtual class or student/teacher interaction)
- Students will need access to an internet-enabled device for distance learning. If a student's family cannot provide one, a school-owned device will be available for check-out
Typical Distance Learning Day
- Most learning will take place on a flexible schedule, but some lessons or interactions may take place at a scheduled time during the school day.
- Students can expect daily interactive instruction through live chat, virtual group or individual lessons, or phone chat.
- Attendance will be recorded based on daily interactive contact between student and teacher, participation in virtual group learning, and/or turning in completed work.
- Typical grading systems will be used to provide feedback on student progress
- Students will continue to receive special education minutes (speech, language, reading, etc) and 504 accommodations
Families who choose Ranger Academy will be asked to make that choice for a full semester.
Please see our Frequently Asked Questions page to find more information about Ranger Academy.
Secondary Distance Learning (Grades 7-12)
Distance learning students in grades 7-12 will be assigned to the same class schedule and teachers that they would be if they were learning in-person. Instruction and learning materials will be provided online via Canvas (paper copies can be provided if needed).
- All students at Forest Lake Area High School, Community School and Middle School need access to their own internet-enabled device. If a family is unable to provide a device for their student, school-owned devices can be checked out while the student is enrolled in school.
- Students will access instruction and coursework through our Canvas Learning Management System
Typical Distance Learning Day
- Daily online instruction will be provided with teachers available during the school day for questions, student interaction and follow-up.
- Students should be prepared to complete coursework during the school day. Some lessons will be provided on a flexible schedule, and other lessons will require students to log in at a scheduled time.
- Attendance will be recorded based on daily contact between student and teacher, participation in virtual group learning, and/or turning in completed work.
- Typical grading systems will be used to provide feedback on student progress.
Families who choose distance learning at the secondary level are asked to make that choice for a full grading period (semester).
Please see our Frequently Asked Questions page to find more information about distance learning for grades 7-12.