Skip To Main Content


Whenever possible, medication should be given before or after school. When medication is needed in school, a physician order is required before the medication can be administered. The medication is to be transported to and from school by a parent/guardian.

  • Medication must be in a pharmacy-labeled bottle: The label must include name of drug, student’s name, dosage, route and frequency. Medication will only be given from a properly labeled container; Epi-pens and inhalers require a label on the device, not just the box it comes in (Upon request, the pharmacist will provide two labeled bottles).
  • Controlled Medication: Parents/Guardians are responsible for bringing controlled medication to school. All controlled medication needs to be counted and documented by the parent/guardian and the health office staff when brought into school.
  • Medication disposal: All medications will be disposed of after the expiration date and/or if not picked up on the last day of school. Parents/Guardians are responsible for supplying new and current medication/equipment and picking up medication/equipment on or before the last day of school.

Forest Lake Area Schools Student Medication Policy 528

Parent Authorization Forms 

  • Authorization for Administration of Medication at School: This form needs to be completed by the physician ordering the medication and a parent/legal guardian. If your child is in Kindergarten through 6th grade, this form will need to be completed for ANY type of medication that may need to be given during school hours (including OTC medications such as cough drops, etc). Students in 7th-12th grade, will need this form completed for all prescription and emergency  medications as well as any over-the-counter medications that are taken on a routine basis during school hours. 

  • Authorization for Discontinuation of Medication at School: This form needs to be completed by the physician discontinuing the medication and a parent/legal guardian. 

  • Self-Carry/Self-Administration of Medication Authorization (Secondary Only): This is a request for a student to carry the medication and take the medication when scheduled or needed during school hours. A physician and parent/legal guardian signature is required for prescription medications. A parent/legal guardian can authorize for their student to self-carry and self-administer OTC pain relief medications under their direction and follow label directions. The student will need to meet with the LPN or LSN for teaching and sign-off on the student agreement. This request will be considered on a case-by-case situation. This request is often used for OTC pain relief medications, inhalers, Epi-pens, glucose monitoring & insulin. There are strict guidelines to be followed and agreed to by the parent/legal guardian, student and LPN or LSN. Students will not be allowed to self-carry controlled medications.